Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Basic Brushes



If you wear makeup having the proper tools can make all the difference in the way you wear and apply your cosmetics. Makeup brushes are really important things to have at your fingertips but there are a lot of options out there. One of my readers (and good friend!) asked me what kinds of brushes she should have so I decided to do this brush guide. This is just my opinion on what basic brushes a girl should have. Keep in mind there are a lot of different brush sizes, brands, bristles, shapes and handles out there. The one thing I always look out for is cruelty free brushes.



Okay, let's get started. If you wear liquid foundation, cream foundation, or tinted moisturizer investing in a standard foundation brush is a good idea. It's a lot less messy than using your fingers and provides a more opaque base. If you want a sheerer look, you can dampen the brush first. I find foundation brushes a lot easier to use than sponges although all foundations are different so some may work better with fingers or other application tools. There are a lot of different foundation brushes but I really enjoy the standard, slightly pointed brush.

A big fluffy powder brush is essential for applying setting powder. I tend to think that the fluffier the better for powder as it will provide a lighter, more natural type of finish than a more dense brush would. It's also great for giving your face a very light dusting of bronzer to perk up the skin a bit.

For mineral or powder foundation, I like to use a more dense brush. It picks up more product so it provides more coverage. My favorite is not very large, and the bristles aren't packed as tightly as others but it is much more dense than the fluffy brush I mentioned. It's perfect for evening out the complexion.

If you like to have a slight flush on your cheeks then having a smaller blush brush is a great idea. I have various blush brushes but my favorite is a smaller slightly tapered blush brush. It's great for giving the right amount of color each time and it is easier to put the color right where I want.

Another brush I reach for daily is my angled blush brush. I use this brush for applying my contour (or darker, matte bronzer) to the hollows of my cheekbones. You can also use this brush to apply blush or highlighter (although I like to use a spare eyeshadow blending brush for my highlight).



Speaking of an eyeshadow blending brush – this may be the most important brush you can own if you wear eye shadow. Blending is your best friend! Nobody wants harsh, unnatural shadow swept across their lids. You can also use a fluffy blending brush to apply a wash of color all over the lid or to apply highlighter.

Next up is a flat eyeshadow brush. These brushes are used for applying shadow to the lid or packing on color. They pick up more color and lay down the shadow in a more precise way than the blending brush does.

The last must have eyeshadow brush is an angled brush. Angled brushes are used for applying shadow, cream, or gel to the upper or lower lash line. You can also use this brush to fill in your brows.

What is your favorite type or brand of brush?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading Beautiful Basics and commenting! I will be sure to respond as soon as I can!