Thursday, April 19, 2012

Going Bananas

Bananas are staples in most homes, and my family members could be considered connoisseurs of the healthful, yellow fruit since we go through bunches of bananas. I love to eat bananas and never feel guilty about doing so because they are packed full of potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, calcium, and tons of vitamins. Since they are so good for your insides, I decided to do a little research and discovered that they are really good for your outsides as well.

If you want to keep it simple, just mash up half of a banana until smooth and apply the mush directly to your cleansed face. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing off. When it's time to rinse your skin will feel a bit tight. Bananas are really soothing and good for irritated or inflamed skin. Using a banana on your face will help soften, smooth, and refresh.

If you have some left over from your facial, apply a generous amount to your under eye area and let sit for 20 minutes. The high potassium content in the super fruit will help get rid of dark circle, puffiness, and fine lines.

Wait - Don't toss the peel just yet! Despite the fact that it sounds a bit gross and the peel feels really slimy and weird rubbing the inside of banana peel directly on your skin will also make the skin feel really soft and hydrated. Doing this often has also been known to reduce acne. I think this would be perfect for sunburned skin as well since it's so cooling and soothing.
Let me know how you feel about using bananas for beauty and if you have any other banana beauty tips!

1 comment:

  1. I gave the banana tips a shot and I want to give you a "heads-up", literally!

    Do not, I repeat, do not try the banana conditioner if you have thick, curly hair (I can't speak to how it may work with straight and thin hair). It is a bad, bad, very bad idea! As a girl who always seeks out natural remedies for her thick, frizzy mane (no Brazilian blowout for this gal), I thought, eh…banana doesn’t seem like such a bad idea, and inevitably I never am able to eat the entire bunch before they get overripe.

    So, I tried it – the results…disastrous! Not only did it cause major tangles in my hair, but I still had pieces of banana in my hair after multiple shampooing, as well as in my brush, on my towels and flung all over my shower – YUCK!
    While, I didn’t have to leave my bed for a midnight snack, it did not provide the soft and smooth hair for which I was hoping!!

    The use of the bananas as a facial wasn’t nearly as calamitous and the peel rub, while weird, wasn’t destructive to me or my bathroom.

    I was going to keep quiet on this embarrassing foray into fruit cleansing, but thought it best to share my foibles for your safety, as well as your entertainment! And whatever your response, please refrain from any monkey jokes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading Beautiful Basics and commenting! I will be sure to respond as soon as I can!