Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Winter Balm

Winter can be harsh on the skin depending on the climate in your region. It's especially cold and dry where I live in Southern Oregon. We usually have a lot of snow in the colder seasons but this year it's been really dry and particularly rough on my skin, and especially on my lips.

I'm obsessed with lip balms, creams and treatments but sometimes commercial products just don't get the job done. If you're having a hard time with dry, flaky lips then try this DIY recipe.




What you need:

1 tablespoon of beeswax
5 tablespoons of your favorite skin friendly oil (I like olive and jojoba for lips)
1 teaspoon of liquid vegetable glycerin
(Optional – a few drops of essential oil (I like peppermint best) for scent and flavor or honey for extra healing properties.)


The first step involves using a double boiler (a bowl placed in a pan filled with hot water) to melt the beeswax and the oil together. Once it's combined and fully liquid remove from the heat and add the glycerin and essential oil if you so desire. Make sure to blend all of the ingredients thoroughly and evenly.

Once it's all mixed it is time to pour the liquid balm into a container like a small jar or tin. I buy small plastic twist top jars at Wal-Mart in the travel beauty section – they cost .97 cents for 2. Be careful not to spill the mixture because it's still hot and can burn you. Let it sit until it's completely cool and solid.

I hope this helps revive and rejuvenate your tired winter lips!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading Beautiful Basics and commenting! I will be sure to respond as soon as I can!